Friday, September 1, 2017

A front page affair review

This was the first review I did for Netgalley. I will be reviewing book 2in this series soon. A Front Page Affair (Kitty Weeks Mystery, #1)A Front Page Affair by Radha Vatsal
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Capability (Kitty) Weeks works at the Sentinel Newspaper on the Ladies Page in New York City in 1915. She spent many years abroad in Europe for school and now lives with her father back in the States. Kitty longs to be a real journalist and cover the more hard hitting news but because she is a woman can only cover mostly society events. Her latest assignment is a Fourth of July Party for the wealthy at a country club. A murder happens during the party. Things escalate from there which cause her to get mixed up in the investigation and putting her in danger of losing her job.

I loved Kitty and how much growth she had as a character by the end of the book. Journalism seemed to suit her she was inquisitive and curious about the world around her. Her father allowed more freedom than was typical of the times. I liked when Kitty and her father talked about what was going on with the war in Europe and the negotiations between Germany and the United States pertaining to the sinking of the Lusitania. She was very determined to find her own path and forge a future how she saw it not how people told her it should be.

I really enjoyed the the writing. The historical topics were well researched and brought the time period to life for me. The mystery was very engaging I had a great time trying to figure out what was going on. In the end it was a surprise to find out who the killer was. I hope to read more about Kitty in the future. I definitely recommend this book to people who love historical fiction or mysteries.

I received this book from netgalley and Sourcebooks for a honest review.
Rating: 4/5

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment